What Can Students Learn in the Internationalised University?

In an era of increasing globalisation, it has become commonplace for universities to present themselves as institutions that are international as well as national and local in character. And at HKU and elsewhere, internationalisation has been making its mark not just on the way in which contemporary research and scholarship are carried out, but also in the goals and aspirations of the university curriculum.

Student Mobility and Learning Abroad

International student mobility is commonly defined as either full-programme ‘degree’ or ‘diploma’ mobility and short-term (typically up to a year) or ‘credit’ mobility (e.g. study abroad and student exchange programmes). Diploma mobility is the simplest type of mobility since it usually only requires a relationship between a student and a university, whilst short-term mobility requires a partnership between an organisation in one country (a university or a study abroad agency) and a university in another – although in some cases institutions establish their own study abroad locations overseas (Woodfield, 2010). It is short-term mobility that forms the focus of this briefing paper.

If you want to be informed of the upcoming events and the latest news about this Community of Practice Project, please leave us your contact information.