UGC VTL Grant: HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows
OverviewRoles and ActivitiesExpected Deliverables2021-22 Fellows2022-23 Fellows
Under the aegis of the University Grant’s Committee’s (UGC) Virtual Teaching and Learning (VTL) initiative, The Centre for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (CETL) in collaboration with Faculty Associate Deans (Teaching and Learning) and the Director of the Common Core is launching an HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows programme. Over the four semesters (from September 2021 till December 2023) 9 HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows will join the CETL academic community for a whole semester to collaborate on pedagogical support and professional development initiatives in CETL.
• Forging closer links between CETL and the faculties, ensuring greater depth and breadth of dissemination of VTL pedagogic innovations within and across disciplines;
• Enhancing academics’ leadership profiles in learning and teaching by encouraging and enabling successful applications for Senior Fellowship of Advance HE for career development.
Role and Activities
HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows will be expected to be leaders in an area of online teaching, learning or assessment within their programme and/or across programmes/ faculties.
HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows will:
- Focus on at least ONE of our identified VTL priority areas:
- Developing interactive, dialogic online and blended pedagogies;
- Developing effective hybrid/dual-mode/ hyflex pedagogies;
- Developing effective and authentic online assessment;
- Devising discipline-specific pedagogic resources to enhance VTL;
- Sharing and developing good practices in virtual experiential learning; and
- Planning and implementing adaptive learning.
- Engage in personal professional development related to teaching and learning in higher education through peer coaching and professional dialogue.
- Disseminate excellent VTL practices as a result of their CETL secondment.
Project Roundtable in March 2022.
Where appropriate, HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows will be aligned to one of the following ongoing VTL-funded projects managed by CETL project lead(s):
- Supporting teachers in online and dual-mode pedagogies and assessment
- Virtual experiential Learning
- Adaptive Learning support for Virtual Teaching and Learning
HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows who have been seconded to CETL will be expected to provide the following outputs.
- During the secondment semester:
- Contribute to CETL professional development events;
- Identify and facilitate wider sharing of good practices within their respective faculties/ CC;
- Engage in classroom observations and provide feedback; and
- Mentor colleagues in Teaching Development Grant (TDG) incubation.
- Following the secondment:
- Submit a summary report to their respective FTLQC/ CCC cc’d to the PVC (teaching and Learning) and the Director of CETL in the semester following secondment;
- Present at least one online CETL seminar sharing the work carried out in the faculty as a result of the secondment. The presentation may be conducted individually or jointly with their peer HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows;
- Participate in at least one Advance HE Leadership in Learning and Teaching workshop in connection with Senior Fellowship. Fellows will be asked to share their reflections and evaluations on the coaching process and how it has aided the influence and impact on colleagues’ teaching practice; and
- Apply for Advance HE Fellowship, if not already attained.
2021-22 HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows
2022-23 HKU Teaching and Learning Fellows